Thursday, August 6, 2009

A visit to the employment office

After an absence of about two years, yesterday I finally went to the employment office again as I had heard about a job offer of a public entity that "administers" a nearby mountain range and I wanted to know more about the offer.
The people attending those looking for jobs were more relaxed and friendlier than I remembered them though their workload has increased a lot recently. There was a long line of people waiting but about half of them only had to show up to affirm that they were still looking for a job; otherwise they lose their benefits. Quite a lot of them looked unemployable to my prejudiced eyes.
Then there was a woman who was astonished when she learned that as long as she is on benefits she cannot leave the country for more than 14 days.
Another came to complain either about her low wage or about the little she gets in unemployment benefits as she allegedly has to care for her grandchild, too, I could not hear her; but I heard the staff's response who explained to her that about 80% of the population, even people with university degrees, live on 1,100 EUR or less - working full time.
And I had thought people came to the employment office to enquire about jobs...
Finally it was my turn and I learned that they had not got all the information about the job offer I was interested in yet. They renewed my status as "unemployed AND looking for a job" and told me I had to return another day if I wanted to know more.
Not a really successful visit for me - but very interesting as to watching a piece of the social situation of this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment